Born and raised in north Edmonton, Amanda Hart-Dowhun graduated from the University Of Alberta Faculty Of Law in 2012 after obtaining a Bachelor of Arts degree with a double major in English and Economics. Amanda began her legal career articling with Engel Law in 2012, and she has continued to practice there as an associate since 2013.
In law school, Amanda was involved in a number of organizations including Student Legal Services, OUTlaw Alberta, CJSR Radio, and the Women’s Law Forum, and she received a number of awards for her volunteer work throughout university. She also took part in practicums with Legal Aid Alberta and the Alberta Human Rights Commission. She currently remains involved in the community by volunteering at the Edmonton Community Legal Centre and by participating in local sports events.
Amanda’s practice specializes in the areas of criminal defence, Charter litigation, habeas corpus applications, human rights issues, and police complaints. She has advocated for clients in the Provincial Court of Alberta, the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta, the Provincial Court of British Columbia, and the Court of Appeal of Alberta. Amanda also has experience litigating matters before the Law Enforcement Review Board, the Alberta Human Rights Tribunal, and the Transportation Safety Board. Amanda takes a client centered approach to her practice and works with her clients to identify their legal issues and achieve positive results.
Amanda would be pleased to meet with you to discuss your legal matters.
- • Law Society of Alberta – admitted in 2013
- • Criminal Trial Lawyers’ Association
- • Canadian Prison Law Association
- Community Involvement
- • Volunteer lawyer, Edmonton Community Legal Centre, 2014 to present
- • Players de novo, Lawyers’ annual play fundraising for the Edmonton theatre community, 2015
- • Director, Criminal Trial Lawyers’ Association, 2017 to present
- Awards and achievements
- • Recipient of the Justice Cecelia Johnstone Equality Award, 2012
- • Recipient of the Dr. Gary MacPherson Leadership Scholarship, 2011
- • Recipient of the J. Roger Flumerfelt Leadership Award, 2011
- • Recipient of the Michael Phair Leadership Award for volunteering, initiative and service to the Edmonton LGBTQ community, 2011
Our other team members